Umtha was asked by the City of Cape Town to conduct a Customer Satisfaction and Services related research survey in order to provide them with comprehensive and integrated information on backyard dwellers in the City of Cape Town in 2017. 4322 surveys were conducted in the process.
Umtha was responsible for:
- Developing a survey using typologies provided by the City of Cape Town and the definition of what a backyard structure is;
- Redefining the classification of backyarders;
- Surveying each typology in each area-based cluster;
- Providing backyarder typology profiles;
- Estimating the number of backyard dwellings in the City of Cape Town;
- Recommending data maintenance and information systems for inter-department sharing on a 24/7 basis.