Umtha was appointed by the Stellenbosch Municipality to perform research into the farms and informal settlements in the Stellenbosch area. 5000 surveys were conducted during the process.
Umtha’s objectives included:
- Conducting a demographic survey and providing a database for the identified informal settlements in Stellenbosch;
- Ensuring that there was an updated database that would inform the planning processes of the municipality in order to render services in these communities;
- Determining and mapping the outer boundary of the surveyed informal settlements as per their zones;
- Undertaking a door to door demographic survey of all identified informal settlements;
- Accurately collecting/capturing the position of the surveyed structures, including details of their engineering and social facilities, and providing GPS coordinates/a point in a Geo-database file format.